2015 APTA Festival
April 25 – May 9, 2015
The Calgary APTA Festival is a non-competitive, volunteer-run piano festival that takes place each spring in Calgary.
The festival is open to students of all ages, interests and levels, providing they study with a member of the Alberta Piano Teachers Association. The goal of the festival is to provide students with an opportunity to expand their musical and performance skills in a non-competitive setting.
The 2015 festival will be held April 25 – May 9, 2015 at the Renfrew Baptist Church.
Registration for the Calgary APTA Festival opened Dec. 15, 2014.
Rules and Guidelines
- Teachers wishing to enter students must be current members of APTA. Any student registration forms received whose teachers are not current members will not be processed. If a junior teacher is working under a registered teacher, the registered teacher’s name must also appear on the registration form.
- Entrants will be from preparatory to diploma levels or their equivalents.
- Refer to the Conservatory Canada, Royal Conservatory of Music or other syllabi as guidelines for pieces in the graded classes. For other classes, please refer to the Canada Conservatory Popular Idioms syllabus or use your best judgement.
- The selection made when entering will be the selection performed at the festival. No changes will be accepted after March 1. Forms without selections will not be processed.
- No changes to scheduled class times will be permitted except in extraordinary situations. Please contact festival coordinator.
- No refunds will be given if a student misses his/her class.
- Teachers will receive, electronically, the details of their students’ schedules in early April. They are responsible for conveying this information to their students.
- No late entries will be accepted.
- Selections may be played with or without a score. However, an original copy of the score must be turned in to the adjudicator. Teachers, please ensure that students bring a copy of their music to the festival. Photocopies used while performing must be handed in to the secretary to be destroyed, after the performance.
- All electronic devices must be turned off during classes.
- The use of ANY recording device is restricted to that of recording the performer’s family and friends. No adjudicator, secretaries, or other people’s remarks or persons may be recorded.
- Participants should arrive 15 minutes before a performance.
- All teachers entering students must complete 3.5 hours of volunteering or pay $50 to “APTA”in lieu of volunteer hours, payable by March 1, 2015 with a note saying what it is for sent to Kay Alexander. Volunteer hours can be completed by a senior student or a parent on the teacher’s behalf. Please fill out the volunteer form on the website or download the PDF and send to Kay Alexander at 355 Abergale Dr. NE, Calgary, T2A 6H9 no later than March 1, 2015. If you have not sent this in, to be received by Kay by March 1, 2015, your student’s registrations will be cancelled and their money refunded. Thank you for your cooperation on this matter.