2020 APTA Festival
February 29th – March 14th 2020
The Calgary APTA Festival is a non-competitive, volunteer-run piano festival that takes place each spring in Calgary.
The festival is open to students of all ages, interests, and levels, providing they study with a member of the Alberta Piano Teachers Association. The goal of the festival is to provide students with an opportunity to expand their musical and performance skills in a non-competitive setting.
The festival will be held February 29th – March 14th 2020, at Renfrew Baptist Church, 1204 Renfrew Dr. NE, Calgary.
The festival runs during the day, which includes during school hours and that requesting permission to leave class for a music festival is a well-established practice.
Registration deadline is January 15th 2020.
Rules and Guidelines
- Teachers wishing to enter students must be current members of APTA. Any student registration forms received whose teachers are not current members will not be processed. If a junior teacher is working under a registered teacher, the registered teacher’s name must also appear on the registration form.
- Entrants will be from preparatory to diploma levels or their equivalents. Refer to the Conservatory Canada, Royal Conservatory of Music or other syllabi as guidelines for pieces in the graded classes.
- The selection made when entering will be the selection performed at the festival. Changes to selections will be considered on an individual basis and original performance times must be maintained. Forms without selections will not be processed.
- Students are expected to be available for the duration of the festival. Any requests with regards to scheduling must be made at the time of application, with the reason specified. Requests will be considered but not guaranteed. Once the final scheduled is confirmed there will be absolutely no changes made.
- No refunds will be given if a student misses his/her class or withdraws from the festival.
- Teachers will receive, electronically, the details of their students’ schedules in early February. They are responsible for conveying this information to their students.
- No late entries will be accepted.
- Bring a copy of the original music score for the adjudicator. Performers may choice to perform with or without a score. Photocopies used while performing must be handed to the secretary to be destroyed, after the performance.
- All electronic devices must be turned off during classes.
- The use of ANY recording device is restricted to that of recording the performer’s family and friends. No adjudicator, secretaries, or other people’s remarks or persons may be recorded.
- Participants should arrive 15 minutes before a performance.
- All teachers entering students must complete 3.5 hours of volunteering or pay $50 to “APTA”in lieu of volunteer hours, payable by January 15th, 2020. Volunteer hours can be completed by a senior student or a parent on the teacher’s behalf.
- Payment must be made at the time of registration.
- Registration will close January 15th 2020.